Tools & Resources
BlueScope Water - "Baffle" model SLIMLINE® Steel Outdoor Rainwater Tanks - Product Safety Recall
BlueScope Water (BSW) "Baffle" model Slimline steel outdoor rainwater tanks manufactured in New South Wales and Queensland in the second half of 2004, and in 2005 and 2006 and sold in Queensland, New South Wales and the ACT.
Also sold as:
- Waterpoint Slimline
- Waterpoint Ultraslim
- Slimline Think Tank
- Slimline with Rainbank
Product does not have any identifying numbers, marks, serial or batch numbers that will enable consumers to safely visually distinguish them from other corrugated steel outdoor water tanks.
What is the defect?
There may not have been any silicone applied to the internal baffle rivets. The absence of silicone sealant on any internal baffle rivets in these tanks may lead to simultaneous rivet corrosion and a loss of internal structural support. Tanks affected in this way may deform in shape (known as bulging - where the external wall of the tank is deformed outwards where it cannot support the weight of water in the tank at the time). The timing, nature and extent of this process (from corrosion to bulging) appears to be highly variable.
What are the hazards?
There is a possibility that a tank with the manufacturing issue may, subject to the following set of circumstances, topple over:
- the tank is taller than 1.6m or between 1.3 and 1.6m high but less than 0.87m wide; and
- the tank is located against a solid wall; and
- there is a severe weather event (heavy rainfall and high winds); and
- the tank has rapidly filled with a large volume of water.
Any person standing in the area if that water tank was to topple is at risk of serious personal injury.
Dates available for sale
1st June 2004 – 31st December 2006
Where the product was sold
New South Wales/ACT
Traders who sold this product
The products were supplied to end users in the following manner:
- directly to consumers;
- through distributors (such as resellers and plumbing suppliers); or
- directly to builders for new dwellings or establishments.
What should consumers do?
Consumers in New South Wales, the ACT and Queensland who believe they may have a Slimline steel outdoor rainwater tank manufactured by BlueScope in the second half of 2004, and in 2005 and 2006 should contact the BlueScope Inspection Team on the dedicated toll-free hotline 1800 650 104, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a free-of-charge on-site inspection of your tank by trained BlueScope inspectors. Tanks requiring rectification will be replaced free-of-charge.
If you have recently been contacted by BlueScope or your tank has already been replaced you do not need to take any further action.
- Do not attempt to inspect the inside of the tank by use of a ladder as this may result in personal injury.
- Do not stand or allow others to stand in close proximity to the tank during periods of heavy rain and/or high winds, or if a tank is showing signs of “bulging”.
Advertisements and supporting documentations
- Baffle model Slimline steel outdoor water tank
- External bulge